Tuesday, October 19, 2010

25 Songs for 25 Years, no. 13

With each of my children, I had a particular task that was mine alone; I was in charge of bedtime. When they were babies, I rocked each of them to sleep on my shoulder and sang to them. It wasn't until they were older that they got critical of my dubious singing ability; as babies and toddlers, they didn't mind it.

This song was a particular favorite for each of the three. It's another one from Thom Moore of Train to Sligo, though it was recorded by one of his previous bands, Midnight Well. As a matter of fact, this is the song from which Train to Sligo took their name. Thom wrote it for his daughter when she was a young girl attending a boarding school outside of Sligo, Ireland, and would take the train home every two weeks. It seemed that the train home went too slow, but the train back to school went far too quickly.

The Scholar

No comments: