Tuesday, October 19, 2010

25 Songs for 25 Years, no. 14

Sometimes I'm an idiot. I'm not really good at planning and working out timelines and things, so I sometimes do really dumb things, like agreeing to take on a big freelance project that had to be finished by about two weeks after our wedding. It involved sculpting a little figurine, making molds from it, and then casting about a 1500 pieces (with magnets embedded in the back) and applying decals to them. They were to be used as promo items for a really terrible movie that only my most geeky friends have ever heard of (it was "The Stuff," a horror movie about malevolent yogurt).

So the week after we got back from our brief honeymoon, we got to spend a whole weekend in our apartment, working around the clock to crank these things out. We convinced a few friends to come over and help, one of whom practically moved in with us for the duration. I stayed up 42 hours straight working on these, Terri went even longer, and somehow we got them done. We kept the turntable going the whole time; Kevin brought over a bunch of his favorites, we dragged out a bunch of ours, and just tried to stay awake and keep pouring the resin. We played Billy Joel's "The Nylon Curtain" (possibly his best album, but kind of a downer) countless times. The other album that we played over and over was Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms."

After putting her through that less than two weeks in, I'm frankly amazed that she's stayed with me for a quarter-century. Patience of Job, I tells ya.

Walk of Life

No comments: